Monday 29 August 2011

From My Heart to Yours...

In my wonderful adventures around our lovely city it has become increasingly clear as to how far the "throw away" mentality extends in our society.

I cannot deny this has not lead to my gain - with all the lovely light fittings, vintage suitcases, books - that have come into my possession.

It saddens me this attitude is beginning to extend to our animal friends as well. A quick peek at any rescue website or online classifieds will demonstrate how widespread this problem is. From animals that are abandoned when moving house, to people who fail to consider children in the process of adoption, to others who cannot be bothered putting in the effort into training and maintaining good behaviour. Click here to find an interesting article on this very issue.

Recently my significant other and I made the decision to foster animals that have been abused and abandoned while they are waiting to be re-homed. We currently have two feral female kittens in our care that have never known love, positive human contact, or enough to eat. It breaks my heart to think of how hard a start in life they have endured.

I understand that drastic changes in circumstance cannot be prevented. I also acknowledge there are animal lovers out there who are willing to put themselves out for the benefit of their pets.

However I beg you to consider the ramifications of owning an animal for 20+ years before buying one. I ask that you think before supporting backyard breeders. I plead with you to sterilise your pets - there are organisations out there that will help with the cost if you are financially unable to do so or who can refer you to a vet that does not grossly over-charge.

From my foster and forever furkids to your future ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment