Friday 25 March 2011

Damn Electrical Cords

Nothing irks me more than seeing a beautifully decorated room with electrical cords in plain view.

Have you ever noticed in interior styling programs/magazines/etc cords seem to magically disappear? Floor lamps are lit from within. Wall mounted flat screens truly do appear to be a modern art work strategically placed in a home theatre. Kitchen appliances are powered seemingly by air.

After being inspired by the successful foraging of the overnight case (more about the actual who/what/how/when/where/why at a later date) I decided to spend my day yesterday re-styling the open plan living and dining area in my home. I like to fiddle with my treasures until they are displayed just so - a process that can take weeks.

I finally put together these two gorgeous floor lamps I purchased a couple of weeks ago:



 They look stunning and match my style perfectly - until one looks at the floor to see the stupid BLACK electrical cords running against the wall to the nearest powerpoint. The floors are an off-white colour tile so the contrast is so obvious I cannot bear to look in that general direction.

And this lovely fiberglasss water feature I purchased with my long suffering finace Fred originally intended for the garden?



My intention was to relocate to the wall between the dining and living room windows. Until I realised that my only options to display this are either some sort of pedestal (hidden electrical cord) or on the wall (visible BLACK cord). Neither option really appeals.

So until I find a viable solution my hatred of electrical cords is doomed to increase tenfold daily.

(Please note better photos will be posted as soon as I get my new digital camera)

3 comments:

  1. power cords don't exist in designer magazines and books. if they did, im sure with the amount of them that you read and own you would of come across an article on how they hide them so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are / were desperate / rich enough you could get an electrician to change all the cords to cream colored ones. Of course you'd still see them but they'd blend in better with the tiles. ;). Personally I would remember this important lesson before buying anything else. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having gone through the house I have counted two items that have white cords.

    Interestingly these are lamps from IKEA.

    I will send an email to some of the local interior design mags asking why there is no such articles published. I am curious to see what impact it will have.

    ReplyDelete