Wednesday 30 March 2011

Picture This

It has been said that one's obssession with a country/era is linked to a past life. Thus I like to think I was a personage of importance in France in a prior incarnation on this earth.

In all seriousness I cannot explain my passionate obssession for anything French. French movies, french music, french names for my cat, old french books, french writing on objects that are not even remotely french...all are fair game and justifiable purchases (in my head anyway).

Possibly the seeds were sown when I watched the movie Amelie for the first time (my all-time favorite that I could watch over and over). Maybe it was the discovery of a little shop (that has since closed down - I am still devastated to this day) in a tiny country town filled with objects d'art that called to my soul and filled me with happiness. Or it could have been an Yves Saint Laurant advertisment I saw in Australian Vogue many moons ago of a model posing in garden at night the Eiffel Tower brilliantly lit in the background. My absolute dream would be to elope in Paris or somewhere picturesque in the French countryside. I can only hope this wish will be granted one day.

Until that happy day arrives I will have to comfort myself with looking at the lovely vintage prints of Paris I ordered from Vintage Venus a couple of weeks back to decorate the bare walls of our home.

It has been difficult to find art work to decorate the home. As I have dabbled in painting in the past I wanted to do some of my own rather than buying just another abstract oil painting or a mass-produced canvas that screams tackiness. So I decided to order a few posters. The print quality is fantastic and the package arrived within a week. The search is now on for the perfect picture frames to complement the lovely posters.

Another idea I had was to cover a canvas with this amazing vintage wall paper my Aunt Patrizia and I found on our travels (read: curbside) a couple of months back:


The alternative is to display this in a frame but finding a frame to complement the print will be difficult.

Other ideas to decorate blank walls?

      *Cover a canvas or use a complementing frame to display a lovely piece of fabric

      *Paint a canvas in a complimentary colour and arrange wall decals over the top for a cute piece that can be moved at will

      * Vintage plate display - these are easy to find at the local op shop for couple of dollars a piece

      * Print any one of the million free pictures off the internet and frame it

      * Frame some cute postcards

      * An interesting display of mirrors/clocks/wall sconces would make a pretty focal point

      * A gorgeous piece of clothing can look nice hanging on the wall from a nice hook - I have a lovely handmade vintage nightie in the bedroom near my improvised dressing table. Catching a glimpse of it brings me far more joy than wearing it.

     * Water features look amazingly dramatic and the sound of running water is surprisingly relaxing

The next step for me? Learning to use a drill...

No comments:

Post a Comment