Tuesday 29 March 2011

For the Love of Books

As hinted in the title of this post it is safe to say that I love books.

If, in fact, I was to be totally honest, I would say my love of books is equal to that I have for my fiance, family (including but not limited to my kitties), and my collection of sewing machines.

My kitties seem to love books as much as I do - as evidenced by the chewed corners decorating some of my collection:



I like to display my books rather than hide them away on a shelf. Or in my case, shelves. Knowing that I own some amazing and unsual books brings me great pleasure. Looking at my lovely books makes me happy. Thus I try to match the type of book with the room.

I have a stack of my prettiest cook books on the kitchen bench.

I have worked my old French books into a display in the living room:



(Please excuse the electrical cords)

Coffee table books on my makeshift coffee table (remember my vintage suitcases?):



The top of the suitcase is badly buckled from water damage. I needed to find something that would hide it yet still show the vintage beauty of the suitcases.

To date I have only seen one article on how to decorate with books. This is in the current issue of H&G and it was not helpful at all. It was rather misleading I felt as it focused more on adding some flair to bookshelves rather than displaying the books themselves.

While this may not be the traditional way to decorate I firmly believe if it looks good and suits the asthetic...why not?

Oh and my favorite author of all time? L M Montgomery.

2 comments:

  1. Nice book display under the tables. Is there anything those cats wont eat?

    ReplyDelete