Wednesday 6 April 2011

Electrical Cords Styling?

Whilst thumbing through the April issue of House & Garden I was astonished to see - the bane of my existence - an electrical cord!

Check out the link here (slide 5 of 7).

The photo in the magazine shows the cord gracefully trailing to the floor ending in an elegant tangle with the plug sitting on its side.I love the idea that an ugly necessity such as a cord has been displayed so artfully. Unfortunately for myself and others it is very impractical.

Since my post Damn Electrical Cords I have compiled a list of ideas on how to hide them:

* Change the cords to while or a cream colour. This could potentially be pricey (if hiring an electrician) and/or life-threatening (if attempting a home job). Too much hassle either way as far as I am concerned.

* Artfully place objects in front of the cords as much as possible - I have tried to do this but I still find them very obtrusive and frustrating.

* Attach the cords against the wall and paint them the same colour as the wall to blend them in. Placing objects in front will distract the eye. In my opinion this is the most workable option this will only work with electrical items that will not need to be moved.

* Re-arrange the furniture - There are only so many ways couches and lamps and end tables can be displayed.

Not much of a list I agree. Until inspiration hits again...

2 comments:

  1. You know what I truly and honestly think?
    ....BAH, it don't matta!

    Hey how about wrapping the cords with some very pretty fabric? Remember those hair band scrunchies?
    Like that... is that a horrid idea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of that but forgot to add it on the list!!

    I don't think its a bad idea. There is a chandelier at Beacon Lighting that has fabric covering the cord and I think it looks good.

    The only issue is finding the right fabric that will suit. And deciding whether to match the colour of the walls so it blends or matching the appliance..

    ReplyDelete